Bulgur Spinach Salad with Olives and Capers

You’ll never believe me but in between the hazelnut brownies and grilled cheese, on a day to day basis, I eat a very simple variety of foods.  I snack on raw almonds, eat lean chicken and fish, brown rice, eggs whites and yogurt.  I gave up a diet coke addiction 2 years ago and have never looked back, it’s water for me and sometimes iced tea.  I’ve found that if I eat “clean” 95% of the time and exercise 5-6 times a week,  I can delight myself with whatever I want the other 5% of the time.  Clean eating is choosing whole foods- fruits, vegetables, lean meats and fish, nuts and whole grains.  Bulgur is one of my favorite whole grains because not only is it super simple to cook, it is an incredible source of fiber and is a vegetarian protein which means it fills you up.  This salad has so many of my favorite Mediterranean flavors that eating it because it’s loaded with vitamins and nutrients is secondary to how amazing it tastes. The lemony dressing with the briny olives and capers, fresh tomatoes and spinach…it’s oh so good…and for you as well. This is what I’m eating for lunch this week, because those hazelnut brownies wouldn’t stop calling my name…
Bulgur Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
 Serves 6-8
 1 cup water
 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
 1 Tablespoon olive oil
 1 garlic clove- minced
 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt

 1 cup bulgur wheat
 6 cups baby spinach
 1 ½ cups grape tomatoes-halved
 2 Tablespoons capers
 ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives

 2 green onions (green only) thinly sliced
 1 Tablespoon fresh dill – finely chopped
 ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
 ¼ cup golden raisins – roughly chopped
 ¾ – 1 cup lemon vinaigrette – to taste

  • In a sauce pot bring water and chicken broth to a simmer
  • Add in olive oil, garlic, salt, and bulgur– stir and continue cooking for 2 minutes
  • Remove from heat, cover with a lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes
  • Gently break up the bulgur with a fork and cool completely
  • In medium salad bowl combine spinach, tomatoes, capers, olives, onions, dill, pine nuts, raisins and bulgur– toss with lemon vinaigrette

 Lemon Vinaigrette
1/2 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Zest of 4 Lemons
½ of a Small Shallot- finely chopped or 1 Tablespoon Onion Finely Chopped
2 Teaspoons of Dijon Mustard
1 Garlic Clove – minced
2 Tablespoons of honey
1 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 Teaspoons salt
1/2 Teaspoon pepper

  • In a small jar combine- Juice, Zest, Shallot, Dijon, and Garlic, Honey, Olive Oil and Salt/Pepper -shake well 

4 comments… add one
  • Cooking with Kait June 6, 2010, 3:07 pm

    Clean food is so tasty. This salad looks wonderful and I love the flavors. Kudos on going to the gym 5-6 times a week.

  • Christina D. June 6, 2010, 8:50 pm

    I just found your blog through a reference by another food blog I frequent. I wanted to tell you that your photos are beautiful and I love your food philosophy. I can't wait to see more!

  • Magia na Cozinha June 7, 2010, 1:58 am

    Hi! I really loved your suggestion.
    Wonderful for those hot summer days.
    Well done! 🙂

  • gibknitty June 8, 2010, 11:55 am

    There is nothing like a good salad in the summer. Your food photos are inspirational! When you get a chance, check out my 6/7 post…there's something there for you.

Leave a Comment