Cabernet Penne in Sage Brown Butter with Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples

Cinnamon, cloves, apples, squash, caramel corn, pumpkins, stews, chili, sage, rosemary, roasts, braised short ribs and simmering veal stock- the flavors of Fall are intoxicating and nostalgic. I surrendered this week; threw in the white “dish towel” and said goodbye to Summer.  I’m jumping in feet first into the stock pot, and I’m ready for some hearty slow cooked comfort food; bubbling soups and slow braises.  I bought my first can of pumpkin, and roasted my first Butternut squash.  Nothing says Fall to me like sweet creamy Butternut Squash.
It’s day two of my recipe testing with my *Caberneti Pasta.  Today I decided to go all out with Fall flavors.  I roasted Butternut Squash, and Jazz Apples with olive oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg- tossed into the Caberneti  pasta, brown butter, fresh Golden and Purple Sage from my garden.  I rubbed the sage between my fingers and took in the aroma…I instantly thought “Thanksgiving”.
What are your favorite Fall flavors?
*Caberneti Pasta is available online through Marche Noir.  It is a pasta made with Cabernet wine flour/powder.  The skins of the grapes are dried and ground into a powder.  The wine flour adds the beautiful color and is incredibly healthy for you – loaded with iron and fiber.

Cabernet Penne in Sage Brown Butter
Serves 4

6 oz Caberneti Penne (available online)
1 Tablespoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
3 Tablespoons toasted pecans -roughly chopped
salt/pepper

Parmesan cheese

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  • Toss cut squash and apples in olive oil and place onto a lined baking sheet
  • Season with salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg
  • Roast for 10-15 minutes until golden and tender
  • Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil- add in 1 Tablespoon of kosher salt
  • Cook pasta for 6-7 minutes until aldente
  • Drain and set aside
  • Melt butter in a large saute pan with uncut sage leaves over medium heat
  • Once butter begins to bubble and turn brown lower heat and add in cinnamon and nutmeg-swirl to combine
  • Add in pasta, squash, apples and pecans
  • Adjust seasoning
  • Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Serve Warm
  • Amanda Stuckey September 14, 2010, 1:57 am

Please come over right now and make this for me!

• Nicole@ The Dirty Oven September 14, 2010, 2:06 am

Just beautiful and such a wonderful array of fall flavors… I so wants some.. and that fork… lovely!!!

• Christina D. September 14, 2010, 2:06 am

That is the most beautiful bowl of pasta I have ever seen. Autumn made edible.

• Indie.Tea September 14, 2010, 4:13 am

O wow, your dish looks AMAZING! That penne is lovely, and the colors and flavors of your pasta look and sound fabulous.

• Steve September 14, 2010, 10:57 am

Louise,
    This looks incredible. I immediately went online to order the pasta. I, too, am a sucker for sage. The aroma always takes me back to the cool months and the promise of great things on the Thanksgiving table.

• Mary September 14, 2010, 2:29 pm

What an interesting pasta. It is gorgeous to look at and I'm sure delicious as well. I have to investigate the new macaroni. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

• Renee Fontes September 14, 2010, 7:34 pm

Finally I can post a comment! My computer has been in a coma. What was it I was going to say? Oh yeah, I want mine with those great meatballs!

• High Plains Drifters September 16, 2010, 3:21 pm

Just gorgeous pasta.

• Magic of Spice September 16, 2010, 7:18 pm

Lovely and colorful dish with a beautiful selection of flavors 🙂

• Faith September 16, 2010, 11:15 pm

This looks fantastic! I love the butternut and the apple together!

• Karen September 17, 2010, 12:08 am

Brown butter and sage is such an amazing combination of flavors…this looks delicious! I love the pasta you used…

• Julia September 21, 2010, 5:13 pm

My favorite fall flavors are everything about this pasta! I LOVE, with almost my whole heart, butternut squash and pumpkin. I can't wait to use my cabernet pasta to try this recipe. Nice to meet you last night!

• Kathryn October 1, 2010, 10:02 pm

Yum! What a great time of year to be cooking squash! Have you ever tried butternut squash risotto? It's my fave!

• Sharon October 4, 2010, 6:40 am

The pasta has such a bright plum color to it versus the "gray" I've seen in other photos of the Caberneti. I purchased a variety pack of the pastas from Blackmarket Bakery and I want to know what you did differently. Did you do an ice bath plunge after the pasta was cooked? Or did the color "pop" after you sauteed it with the other ingredients? Just curious…
    Sharon – Dana Point

• ~ Chef Louise October 5, 2010, 3:17 am

Sharon,
    Well, not sure what everyone else did but I boiled the pasta just under al dente with plenty of salt in the water. The glossy color might have come from the butter. Good luck, just don't over cook it.
    ~Chef Louise