- Peeled evenly cut potatoes gently boiled in heavily salted water- just covering the tops
- Once fork tender- drain
- Steam out ( allow potatoes to release all the extra moisture by giving time to release the steam)
- Run through a food mill or ricer
- Cream with hot half and half or cream and melted butter- plenty of salt
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 ¾ cup half and half
2 full Tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme leaves
Zest of 2 large lemons
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black or white pepper
Sprinkle of nutmeg
- In small sauce warm butter,half & half, thyme, and lemon zest – DO NOT BOIL. Once warmed turn the heat off and set aside.
- In large stock pot, cover peeled & cut potatoes with cold water just to cover the tops, add 1 Tablespoon of salt and bring to a simmering boil- NOT A ROILING BOIL.
- Boil until fork tender
- Strain and allow time for the potatoes to sit and release their steam – about 10 minutes
- Put potatoes through a potato ricer or food mill into a bowl or a standing mixer with a whisk attachment
- Turn on mixer and cream for about 1 minute
- Slowly add in butter and cream mixture – once liquid is combined thoroughly turn mixer up to high and cream for 1-2 minutes
- Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste
- Serve warm
1/2 cup all purpose flour
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
4 thinly sliced chicken breasts- pounded to ¼ “thickness
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
4 cups brown Italian mushrooms-cleaned and thinly sliced
1 large shallot- finely chopped
1 garlic clove-minced
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 cup sweet Marsala wine
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
1 Tablespoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat until the oil is almost smoking.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish and season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Lightly season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- Placed the dredged chicken into the hot pan and cook until golden brown on both sides (about 2 -3 minutes each side) turn once.
- Remove the cooked chicken and set aside on a platter
- Add the butter to the sauté pan, once melted add in the mushrooms to the same pan- lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper , sauté until golden around the edges and soft 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the shallots, garlic, and thyme- stir to coat.
- Turn off the flame and add the Marsala wine, return to the stove over medium/high heat and bring to a boil until wine has reduced by 1/3.
- Dissolve the cornstarch into the cold broth and then add into the Marsala- continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Season with ½ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the chicken back into the pan. Bring back to a boil and the reduce heat.
- Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Serve warm over mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles.