Six degrees of separation ~ Bloggers at Blackmarket Bakery

Louise met Renee, who introduced her to Priscilla, Marla, and Rachel.  Rachel already knew Marla who seemed to know everyone. Marla and Rachel thought it would be great for “everyone” to get to know each other and then we met Francis, Nicki,  Anne, Diane, Quyen,  Kim, Julia, and Ciaran.  Rachel then introduced all of us to the star guest of the evening ~ Cabernet Wine Flour.  Six degrees of Kevin Bacon separation is alive and well in the blogosphere. Stepping out from behind my computer and into the kitchen with some of the faceless blog titles I see around the Internet was an absolute treat.  I now have a beautiful smiling face to go with Kitchen Runway, instead of envisioning a mouthwatering photo of Veal Scallopine

The event spotlighted Marche Noir which is a line of wine flour products including Cabernet Brownies and Caberneti Pastaby Chef Rachel Klemek. The flour itself is actually a powder that is made from the skins of the Cabernet grape once the juice has been expelled.  It is dried and then pressed into a powder that Marche Noir incorporates into it’s pasta’s and baking products.  The flour itself is rich in resveratrol, fiber, and iron and is a considered to be a gluten free product.  But the only thing you really need to know about these products is that they are simply… FABULOUS.  The pasta is gorgeous in color and even better in taste with a firmer aldente texture.  If you are a brownie lover, you just have to try these decadent chocolaty treats with a sweet hint of “jammy notes”, they are addicting.  I have yet to taste anything from Blackmarket Bakery or Marche Noir that hasn’t made me close my eyes and smile.

After an introduction to the products and a little instruction from Chef Klemek and myself, the foodies separated into groups and began brainstorming recipe ideas. What happened next was… DELICIOUS.   As each dish was finished, garnished and perfectly plated- in true food blogger fashion – each of us dropped our knives and grabbed our cameras.  We all  looked for the perfect angle as food posed patiently like a star on the red carpet waiting for the paparazzi to get the perfect shot.   For foodie-bloggers, a mouth watering snapshot takes precedence over eating hot food, it’s just something we’ve all come to accept.  Each dish was carefully planned,  perfectly executed,  and easily could be been served in a local restaurant- quite impressive.

~Smoked Gouda and Fig Ravioli finished in a Rosemary Cream Sauce~

~Pumpkin and Gorgonzola Ravioli in a Mushroom and Pine nut Butter Sauce~

~Cabernet Focaccia topped with Brown Sugar Balsamic Figs, Blue Cheese & Rosemary~

~Cabernet Crusted Relleno finished with Roasted Red Pepper and Butternut Sauce~

~Caramelized Cippolini Onion Rotelle  in a Pine Nut Butter Sauce~

~Cabernet Focaccia Crostini with Lemon Curd and Dragon Fruit~

I’m not sure when “networking” actually turns into friendship. But after the last dish was eaten and the business cards were exchanged,  I couldn’t help but think I would eventually share another meal with some of new found friends in the near future. If not in person, then perhaps in a blog post just like this, great to meet you all  and until we meet again…
C’est Si Bon,
~Chef Louise
My recipes using “Caberneti Pasta”

• Priscilla - She's Cookin' September 24, 2010, 5:02 am

What a great post – yes, there's only six degrees (or less) separation between us in this digital world we live in! Your photos are fantastic! Except that the chile relleno… drum roll… is not pictured 🙂 Such a fun evening, so glad that Chef Rachel opened her kitchen to all of us.

• Quyen - Kitchen Runway September 24, 2010, 6:55 am

Hi Chef Louise! It was great to finally meet you and of course cook and eat with everyone!! I can't wait until the next time we all get together again. Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures….I'm so behind…yikes!

• High Plains Drifters September 24, 2010, 2:38 pm

Not sure if anyone else will find this interesting, but mathematically it's actually closer to three degrees of separation. Odds are, if you talk to the person sitting to your left and to your right at any gathering, no matter where all of you are from, you'll have at least one acquaintance in common. The problem is, you each have to go through all of the 1,600 acquaintances (typical number for an American) before you find out who that one person in common is.

This is why, in a pre-internet world, the rumor that Mikey from the Life commercials (that he died mixing Pop Rocks with a soda) was able to travel through middle schools all across the country.

Cheers!

• Kim September 24, 2010, 3:04 pm

Hey Chef Louise!

It was so great to meet you this week. Thank you (and Chef Rachel) for a lovely evening. Hope we're able to do it again soon. :o)

[K]

• Renee Fontes September 24, 2010, 6:46 pm

Beautiful as usual Louise. I don't know about you, but being there in a working commercial kitchen makes me homesick! Rachel is a saint to let us trash her kitchen. The product was a dream to work with, and I thought it was fun cooking alongside fellow bloggers!

• Faith September 25, 2010, 12:13 pm

I love six degrees of separation, such a fun game, isn't it? These dishes are all lovely and what ann incredibly beautiful pasta! I think my favorite is the Smoked Gouda and Fig Ravioli finished in a Rosemary Cream Sauce.

• Chow and Chatter September 25, 2010, 9:40 pm

wow this pasta looks amazing cool meet up always so much fun to meet other bloggers came over from renee's blog Rebecca

• Marie September 26, 2010, 3:52 am

Beautiful blog and pics! Nice to meet you and sit next to you today too, keep in touch 🙂 Marie

• Jean at The Delightful Repast September 26, 2010, 5:03 am

Bring on a pair of those rellenos! Sounds like a really satisfying dish for this seasonal transition (and just what's needed after a day of too many sweets!).

• marla {family fresh cooking} September 29, 2010, 1:15 am

Louise, this post is gorgeous! Your attention to detail & photography is amazing. You added so much to this special evening. We need to do this kind of thing more often. I have a feeling this OC blogger group will get much closer as time goes on 🙂 xo

• Sippity Sup September 29, 2010, 2:20 am

C'est Si Bon, it's like you know me. We should have lunch. GREG

• Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} September 29, 2010, 3:50 am

Looks like fabulous food fun! Campblogaway went by so fast we didn't get a chance to meet, wished we had. Hopefully our paths will cross again!

• Lana September 30, 2010, 12:52 am

What a wonderful and exciting day you must have had! And your creations look fabulous. Thanks to this post I have a couple of more local blogs to read.
    Thanks!