Happy Halloween! 4 Bean Turkey Chili

It’s so hard to believe that it’s almost Halloween! You know what this means don’t you?  It’s time to…well… put away your scale.  I’ve already begun to have conversations with myself about NOT dipping into the trick or treat candy.  The conversations go something like this: “You don’t need that, you’ve had it before, it tastes the same” – and then I eat it anyway – AUGH!   Halloween marks the beginning of the end for me … the end of the year that is.  I will be cooking and overeating nonstop from now until New Year’s Day.  I actually bought my first can of cranberry sauce for a salad dressing, and began to dream about ginger bread cookies.  Sorry, I can’t help but jump ahead.  The best part of it is that I’m already looking forward to New Year’s Day. We have a family tradition of going to the Rose Bowl Parade inPasadena.  The parade is nice, but you want to know what I’m really looking forward to? …  Eating a bacon wrapped hot dog from a street vendor at 7 a.m.  Sounds crazy I know but you can’t mess with tradition, just have do it.

What are you Halloween traditions that mark the beginning of the holiday season

My Halloween Traditions

Fight with my son about his costume not being too scary.
Pull out my multitude of fake pumpkins and hope the Santa Ana winds don’t blow them away.
Medicate my dog so she won’t have a heart attack.
Make promises to myself that I know I won’t keep and eat Snickers bars
Make a huge pot of low fat, high fiber, healthy, turkey chili, and then pile on cheese and sour cream.
Pull out the Christmas decorations.

4 Bean Turkey Chili

Makes 24 8oz servings

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large white or yellow onion -diced

1 large yellow bell pepper – diced
1 large red bell pepper – diced
pinch of salt and pepper

2 pounds of lean ground turkey (not extra lean you need some fat for flavor)
4 teaspoons kosher salt

3 Tablespoons corn starch

2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large bay leaf

• In a extra large soup/stock pot warm olive oil over medium heat and sweat the onions and peppers with a pinch of salt and pepper until they appear translucent – about 4-5 minutes.
  • Increase the heat to high and add in turkey meat and begin to brown.
  • Season the turkey with salt, pepper, cumin, thyme, garlic powder, and chili powder.
  • Once the meat is browned, add in the beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
  • In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the cold chicken broth and add to the chili- stir to combine.
  • Add in remaining ingredients- apple cider vinegar, ketchup, seasoning, bay leaf,  and simmer over low heat for 40 minutes.
  • Serve Warm
  • Sippity Sup October 29, 2010, 10:43 pm

Did you know there was a spider on your spoon. Is he an add-on like the sour cream? How perfectly seasonal… GREG

• High Plains Drifters October 29, 2010, 11:24 pm

What if you promise to eat a Snicker's bar? Cheers!

• Renee Fontes October 30, 2010, 12:16 am

Oh my gosh, you just had to say "pull out the Christmas decorations" I am currently fighting two boys about the amount of public gore we can decorate the yard in for Halloween…not ready for the next battle!

I have to say, for a "bean in" chili…yours looks really good!

• Amanda Stuckey October 30, 2010, 1:00 am

Oooo this looks delicious Louise! We got a cold front here today and this is exactly what I'm cravin'!

• She's Cookin' October 30, 2010, 10:25 pm

A wonderful attempt at a balanced meal for Halloween eve 🙂 I just wish it was a little cooler. My turkey chili is three bean – I'll have to add cannellini and try four bean!

• Jean at The Delightful Repast October 31, 2010, 12:37 am

Louise, that turkey chili looks a wonderful autumn tradition that I should adopt immediately!

• High Plains Drifters October 31, 2010, 1:44 am

by the way, is "four bean" chili related in any way to Stephen Colbert's "eight meat" chili? (the punchline is, it used to be seven meat chili, but he got two of the meats to breed.)

• l October 31, 2010, 6:44 am

It's funny how when Halloween hits, two days later its Christmas. And so much work to do and food to cook. And shopping and wrapping. And tree decorating. No, really, it's my favorite time of year. And your chili would provide lots of energy for the above mentioned activities.Thanks.

• Feast on the Cheap October 31, 2010, 4:29 pm

Such a festive photo, I love it! Turkey chili is one of my faves, will have to try your four-bean version

• Lora October 31, 2010, 8:22 pm

LOL at your Halloween traditions. Love this recipe. Thanks!

• Joanne November 1, 2010, 7:10 pm

I'm super crazy excited about all the cooking that's going to be coming up as well! So many menus to plan and dishes to try! Such good stuff.

I love the looks of this chili. Healthy, tasty, satisfying. With a side of snickers bars…what? Huh? Did I say that out loud?

• Lana November 1, 2010, 11:09 pm

But you have to counterbalance the goodness of that chili with a guilty pleasure, or two, or three:)
    Your pictures are so vibrant, that I almost feel like I am back in Cleveland instead of SoCal.
    We carved one pumpkin. We made two costumes (Gypsy won the best costume in school; Hannibal Lecter did not win anything, because kids had no idea who he was:) And yes, I breed some really odd children.
    We went trick-or-treating and collected a bunch of candy. Our Halloween tradition is for the girls to lay on the floor while we dump all the candy on top of them and take the picture. Then we sort the candy: some to give away, some to save as treats, some for Daddy and just a few for Mommy (like Mounds and anything dark chocolate:)

• marla {family fresh cooking} November 3, 2010, 2:44 am

We also enjoyed big bowls of turkey chili on Halloween. I kept away from the treats 'cause the chili was so satisfying. Hopefully you did not cause too much damage 😉 Your food styling is lovely here. xo

• Kim November 3, 2010, 5:25 am

I noticed the spider on the spoon, too!!

I'm with you – I'll be eating non-stop between now and January. Sigh. But it'll be worth it. While I'm excited about the gingerbread, I'm not sure I'm ready for the Christmas music I heard today while shopping at the Container Store.

Your chili looks delicious. Very high in fiber, indeed!

[K]

P.S. My halloween tradition? Carving a pumpkin with the husband, then ditching our house to go see a movie (because we live in an old-timer's neighborgood and don't get trick-or-treaters).