This one time at blog camp … I made watermelon limeade

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself…  I really am home from camp,Camp Blog away.  I came home last night to the news about Bin Laden.  So disturbing don’t you think?   I’m not saying anything to the fact of who he was and what he deserved, but I’m just a little taken back by the whole idea that men laid in wait to kill another man and then captured his dead body!  It’s just not in my nature to cheer or celebrate over somebody being killed, no matter who they were.  Sorry,  I’m not trying to be all deep on my food blog,  but there is something about the grave contrast between my world of relaxing in the mountains and making watermelon limeade that seems a bit insignificant in comparison to the big picture of things… I’m just saying.
I did enjoy my time away from reality even if it was only for 3 days.  We spent the days and nights listening and discussing the topics of SEO, branding, and content, but who am I kidding, we also spent a majority of the time eating s’mores and drinking wine in front of the fireplace.  I mean really,  what did you expect?

What did I learn at Camp Blogaway?

Enjoy the people you meet along the way – make new friends.
Giggled a little with Joy the Baker, like we were 14,  trying to fall asleep in our bunk beds.  Drank wine with Sarah from TasteSpotting, she is sweet … so I can’t complain now when she
doesn’t accept my photos.
Invest in real relationships.
Had meaningful conversations about life with my friends
Greg, Melissa, Lynne, and Nancy (thanks for the towel)

Encourage others and you’ll be encouraged.
Erika grabbed my face looked me in the eyes and made me blush with her kind words.

Share and be nice.
Check out my new blog roll I want to share these lovely people and their talent with all of you.

I guess the ideology of camp doesn’t change much if your 14 or 41…

Lucky me, I was asked to represent one of the camp’s sponsors, the National Watermelon Promotion Board, so I did a quick and refreshing watermelon limeade demo with lime sugar -  just in time for the warmer weather.

Watermelon Limeade
6 cups chilled seedless watermelon flesh
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
zest of 4 limes
1/2  cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • In the bowl of a food processor pulse together the lime zest and sugar until lime zest is combined and the sugar is light green.
  • Place the watermelon, lime juice, and 1/2 cup of the lime sugar into the blender and blend until combined.
  • Use the lime to moisten the edge of your glass and dip the rim into the remaining lime sugar.
  • Watermelon limeade can be stored in the refrigerator.  If the water and solids separate,  just stir to combine.

• Patricia K. Rose May 3, 2011, 4:45 am

I was hoping you would post this recipe. I got the last sip of this at Camp and can't wait to try it again. Your photography is simply beautiful.

• The Cafe Sucre Farine May 3, 2011, 10:14 am

Louise,
    You put into words perfectly what I have been thinking regarding Bin Laden ( the celebrations in the streets, etc.). It's so easy for us to lose eternal perspective and for our priorities on what really matters to get lost. I appreciate your thoughts.

On a lighter note, I hope I get to meet you someday at a blog camp! Sounds like such fun!

• Hettie May 3, 2011, 1:49 pm

I'm so glad you posted this recipe as I didn't get to taste it. :-) It was wonderful meeting you at Camp, your smile is contagious!!
    Hettie/CelticMommy

• FamilySpice May 3, 2011, 2:15 pm

It was delicious! Thank you for posting the recipe!

• Cathy @ ShowFoodChef May 3, 2011, 3:18 pm

It was fun to meet you at Campblogaway, and sit by that huge fireplace :D
    Love that you posted this, it was truly a highlight to the afternoon.

• Steve @ HPD May 3, 2011, 6:21 pm

I've been all over the place on the recent news. I think the bottom line is, you can try to tell someone how to think (meaning, laying out the significant components of a decision and explaining how you would weigh the criteria to come to your particular conclusion) but you can't tell someone what to feel. Feelings are primal things. No two people see things the same. And "bad" or "wrong" feelings will always exist. The best we can do is foster a society of checks and balances so that in the long run, on the average, we produce a society with a net reduction in human suffering. Not very poetic, and maybe not even very realistic.

• Meredith @ M&P Food Communications May 3, 2011, 6:42 pm

I'll definitely be making this Watermelon limeade at home! Also – I loved your watermelon flowers! It was great to meet you and talk with you this weekend, Louise!

Cheers,
    Meredith

• Lentil Breakdown May 3, 2011, 6:44 pm

You really articulated my feelings about the whole Bin Laden thing. I haven't been happy at the thought of ruthlessly murdering someone. I can't even get a handle on my thoughts, but I am certainly not dancing in the streets like the rest of America.

It was great seeing you at camp, and you were a lovely watermelon host. Oh, and thanks for putting me on your blogroll! : )

• Quyen May 4, 2011, 9:10 pm

Louise – It's always great to spend time with you! In fact I miss you already (and Taylor misses Flapjack!) I loved your watermelon limeade and can't wait to make it soon! Thank you for adding me to your blog roll and I'm looking forward to our next adventure! I have so much to learn from you! xoxo!!

• Jean | Delightful Repast May 4, 2011, 9:57 pm

Louise, this drink looks soooo refreshing! Wish I could have been there to enjoy it with you. I'd like to invite you to visit my blog today! I plan to come back and spend more time at yours as soon as I get through visiting all the campers.

• Renee Fontes May 5, 2011, 2:07 am

I missed camp, but I loved your demos at OC Fair with the fresh watermelon drink! Can't wait for this year, it will be fun!!

• Sippity Sup May 5, 2011, 3:23 pm

Thanks you for "sharing and being nice" and including me in your "real relationships". You're a special woman and I am honored to know you that much better after camp. GREG

• The Fresh 20 May 6, 2011, 12:23 am

I like knowing that you "get" me even when I don't always "get" myself. And winning OC Fair wine doesn't suck either.

• Nancy May 8, 2011, 6:07 pm

So glad that we got to spend time together at Camp!! Beautiful photo and fabulous drink – it tasted so good at camp and I can't wait to make this!!

Can't wait for the fair this year!!!

• Jennifer May 8, 2011, 9:50 pm

I made this for a party and it was sooooo good. Then, since I had some left over, I had a glass and added a shot of vodka, even better.

• turkey yacht charter July 19, 2011, 12:11 pm

It's so delicious :)

• Christian Louboutin March 15, 2013, 4:01 pm

I have read so many posts concerning the blogger lovers but this piece of writing is genuinely a good article, keep
    it up.