of a television show
it was fancy and glamorous
2 ripe bananas – peeled and pureed
1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
3 large eggs (Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs) separated – yolks from whites
3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon of white granulated sugar – divided
1/4 cup light rum
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- Peel and puree the bananas with lemon juice until very smooth and set aside.
- In a very clean mixing bowl begin to whisk egg whites on low until foamy, then increase the speed to high, adding in slowly both the cream of tartar and 1 Tablespoon of sugar.
- Whisk until stiff peaks form – about 3 – 4 minutes. Set aside
- Whisk heavy cream until stiff peaks form – about 3 minutes. Set aside
- Bring rum to a simmer and set aside.
- In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment cream together on high the 3/4 cup of sugar and egg yolks until pale and creamy – about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the speed and slowly drizzle in the hot rum.
- Once the rum is completely combined turn up the mixer to high and mix for an additional 3 minutes. Scrape the sides down.
- Reduce the speed and mix in the banana puree, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the egg whites in thirds until completely combined.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream in thirds until completely combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours.
- Serve cold with bruleed bananas, chocolate sauce or cookies.
- This mousse is not stable enough to fill cakes and needs to be eaten within 24 hours.