Classic Mashed Potatoes
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 ¾ cup of half and half
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon of black or white pepper
- In a small sauce pot, warm the half and half – DO NOT BOIL. Once warmed, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, cover the peeled & cut potatoes with cold water just until the water covers the top of the potatoes, add 1 Tablespoon of salt and bring to a simmering boil- NOT A ROILING BOIL.
- Boil until fork tender- about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander and allow time for the potatoes to sit in the colander and release their steam – about 15 minutes.
- Put the potatoes through a potato ricer or food mill into a bowl or standing mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Turn on the mixer and cream the potatoes for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in all the butter and then begin to add in the half and half – once the liquid is combined with the potatoes thoroughly, turn the mixer up to high and cream for 1 minutes.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Turn the mixer back on to medium and mix for about 30 seconds more – DO NO OVER MIX
- Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper.
- Serve warm