Mondays aren’t pretty, but your salad can be… Zucchini ribbon & olive salad with oregano and lemon

Pretty zucchini ribbon salad is perfect for those not so pretty Mondays.  I didn’t wake up today thinking about salad, let alone making a pretty salad.  I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck … yeah, Monday’s aren’t pretty here at my house.  I worked all weekend on a video shoot and before I even opened my eyes, all I could think about was having to unload my car.   It looked liked Geez Louise! threw up in there.  Dresses, high heels, onions, knives, cartons of milk, bottles of Bourbon, cutting boards, and curling irons, yeah… I told you it wasn’t pretty.

Karen (my Prius, who is too smart for her own good) , doesn’t particularly like it when when I load her to the tilt, and she didn’t mind telling me all the way to my son’s school.  Karen insists you put your seat belt on.  You know,  she’s a Toyota and she doesn’t want to get blamed for killing anybody.  So,  I drove my son to school with Karen beeping (yelling at me) all the way….  ”Ahhh shut up Karen, it’s not a person – it’s just a box full of liquor on the seat!”  She didn’t care, she never does…

Yesterday, on the set for Geez Louise, everything was so perfectly pretty.  Pretty hair, pretty dress, pretty food- but that was yesterday.  Today it’s back to my other life with “the people” – my husband, kids, and doggies.  It’s Monday, no fake eye lashes, no pretty lipstick.  They will be home soon, and of course they will expect milk in the fridge and I can guarantee they will be asking, “what’s for dinner”… If I hadn’t left the milk from the shoot in the car all day, well … that might have helped  my cause, but nope, I didn’t.

Why a pretty salad for dinner?  Well, when I finally unloaded my car and put all the clothes away, I remembered that I kept popping all the buttons on my dresses.  A little too much holiday cheer makes your clothes shrink … that is definitely not pretty.

Zucchini ribbon & olive salad with fresh oregano and lemon

2 yellow squash

2 green zucchini squash

1/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes

2 teaspoon of fresh oregano –  roughly chopped

1/4 cup Lindsay Natural Olives

1/4 Cup Lindsay small black olives

Drizzle  of olive oil

Squeeze of fresh lemon juice

kosher salt & black pepper

Parmesan cheese shavings

• With a flat blade vegetable peeler, create the zucchini ribbons by shaving the zucchini length wise from top to bottom.
  • Toss the zucchini in a  bowl with tomatoes, oregano, and olives.
  • Drizzle on the olive oil, lemon juice, and season with salt & pepper.
  • Garnish with Parmesan cheese

11 Comments

1. Lentil Breakdown January 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Love the drunken- binge, naughty-girl-in- back-seat shot! Lucky you weren’t stopped by a cop. He might have wanted more than your pretty salad!

2. Kim January 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

Mondays at my house are pretty horrendous, too. There really needs to be an extra day between Sunday and Monday.

The salad is pretty… I wonder if the ribbons would hold their shape if they were sautéed?

[K]

3. sippitysup January 10, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

Geez Louise I see an open container! Have a talk with that Karen… XOGREG

4. Rhonda January 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

That’s my back seat, only there isn’t any high heels, or frilly dresses, or cake stands or cookbooks…errr, maybe the only common link is the booze and possibly forgotten milk.

The salad is indeed pretty, I’m going to attempt this but I have a feeling that mine won’t be as pretty.

5. Deena January 13, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Gorgeous salad!
    I’m quite partial to zucchini ribbons.

6. The Dinner Belle January 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

I made a version of this salad once and it did not come out as good as I had hoped. But seeing this has inspired me to try again. Maybe its the addition of oregano that will take it to the next level and of course, parm, lots of parm!

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com

7. tajwar May 6, 2012 at 8:19 am #

thank you very much .as i really love fruits
    and vegetables i love your recipes thanks .

tajwarfazlani

8. Phillip May 18, 2013 at 2:28 am #

Ahh! Something different to do with this fresh zucchini! Thank you so much for the unique recipe idea. Unique to my household, anyway. Great blog.

9. Cj @ FoodFotoGallery January 2, 2014 at 7:51 am #

OMG – Love this recipe and food foto – Would love to share on social media with all my foodie friends – If you’re interested, just submit your foto at FoodFotoGallery . com :-)

Happy New Year!