Take that June Cleaver! I’m making SCRAMBLED EGGS for dinner…

That’s right we are having SCRAMBLED EGGS for dinner.  Take that June Cleaver!

You see June, I’ve been at work all day,  I forgot to go the grocery store, and the “people“,  they keep  texting me , “WHAT’S FOR DINNER”?

June, let’s be reasonable here.   I got up at 4:30 this morning, went to the gym, made lunches, fed the dogs, threw in a load of laundry as I ran out the door, cooked all day at work, and then sat in 5:00 o’clock LA traffic.  I don’t feel like cooking anything for anybody!

Lucky for me there are eggs in the fridge, that’s right June – the modern day housewife makes breakfast for dinner… it’s a treat! I’ll even throw in a fancy French sauce.

Herbed Scrambled Eggs

Serves 2

1-2 pieces of toast per person.

6 large eggs

¼ cup of whole milk or half and half

2 Tablespoons of butter

¾ teaspoon kosher salt

¼ teaspoon black pepper

1 Tablespoon of fresh chives- finely chopped

2 Tablespoons of fresh Italian parsley-finely chopped

You can also use fresh thyme, marjoram, or dill

• In a medium bowl, crack eggs and combine with salt & pepper,  and milk- whisk thoroughly.
  • Add in fresh herbs and whisk to combine.
  • Heat a medium saucepan over low/medium heat and melt the butter.
  • Add the eggs to the sauce pan and stir lightly with a spatula.  Lightly move the eggs around the pan with the spatula, scraping the bottom as the eggs begin to cook.
  • When the eggs are firm but still a slight bit runny, turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.

Milk gravy

Serves 4-6

1 ½ -1 ¾ cups whole milk or half and half

¼ of a small white or yellow onion- cut into large pieces

1 bay leaf

3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter (or bacon fat)

3 Tablespoons of flour

½ teaspoon of kosher salt

Pinch of black pepper

In a small saucepan warm milk over low heat.

• Add in the onion and bay leaf.
  • Bring to a low simmer and then turn off the heat to keep warm.
  • In a small sauté pan over low/medium heat, melt 3Tablespoons of butter, and add in the flour to create a roux.
  • Stir with a whisk to combine- cook the roux for an additional 1-2 minutes.
  • Strain the warm milk into the roux and whisk to combine.
  • Bring the gravy up to a slow simmer and add in salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
  • Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until gravy is the consistency your desire.
  • If gravy becomes too thick, add in more milk.
  • Serve eggs over warm toast drizzled with gravy.
  • Garnish with fresh chive or herbs.

16 Comments

1. Steve @ HPD February 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Also worth mentioning: even if you go with cage free, organic, omega-3 eggs, you’re talking around 60¢ a serving. Cheers!

2. Steve @ HPD February 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Again, kudos to your design team. Love the non-standard Facebook button and other little touches.

• Chef Louise Mellor February 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Steve, thank you for always being so encouraging… I have a lovely designer I never met in person, but she just get’s me.

3. Lentil Breakdown February 7, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Love it! And the music, too!

• Chef Louise Mellor February 7, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

thanks Adair… the music is my favorite part. you have to watch the video SO many flippin times, I get sick of looking at me, but the song is still great after hearing a million times!The song is why I shot the whole thing, started with that and ran with it…

4. Valentina February 8, 2012 at 1:11 am #

love the video (& eggs for dinner)! :-)

5. sippitysup February 8, 2012 at 1:15 am #

I’ll let you in on a secret June Cleaver was a lousy cook. She couldn’t even make scrambled eggs. Certainly not this pretty at least. GREG

• Chef Louise Mellor February 8, 2012 at 4:27 am #

poor June, probably smoked and drank all day- but she looked darn good doing it!

6. stay at home FOODIE February 8, 2012 at 1:28 am #

I love eggs for dinner… It’s one of my family’s favorites!

7. Presley's Pantry February 8, 2012 at 3:02 am #

I LOVE eggs! I am such an egg lady. Your new video is so cute. Like the kitchen’s new look and the Chicken egg holder is super cute. Cheers my fellow video pal. :) Oh forgot to say… you look gorgeous too! :)

• Chef Louise Mellor February 8, 2012 at 4:27 am #

thanks Nicole, I love that little chicken egg holder too… I should do a giveaway- I work for the company who makes them. PacificMerchants.com

8. Lynne @ CookandBeMer February 8, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I learned to make bechamel from my Mom, too. It is such a handy sauce to know. Love your video!

9. Michael J. February 12, 2012 at 3:04 am #

You talk about modernity yet fail to acknowledge that there are househusbands and that many men cook for their family or with their spouses.

• Chef Louise Mellor February 12, 2012 at 3:27 am #

Sorry Michael, just 1 girl’s perspective… househusbands are the ‘ultimate” modern day caregiver! My husband dreams of being one…

10. Kitchen Runway February 14, 2012 at 6:57 am #

Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorites! Great video and tips!! Yay for eggs!