2 things you don’t know about me

2 things you don’t know about me …

1. I started this blogging thing convinced that I DID NOT want to be a “mommy blogger”.  No offense moms, but I have 4 children and have been a mom for so long that I often forget what life was like before the little people came.  I have sacrificed aspects of my career, put my life as a chef on hold, turned down jobs, and there have even been situations when I didn’t mention the fact that I was a mom to employers so that I wouldn’t be judged differently than other chefs who were willing to work nights-holidays-and-weekends without complaint. Yes, I actually lied about “not” being a mom. I couldn’t see how my life as a mom and my life as a chef could ever fit into one place cohesively.  My blog was going to be a kid free happy place to just be … Louise.  Who was I fooling?  My children are my life and everything I do is for them, with them, or even at times, in spite of them.  Today I was named as one of  Babble’s Top 100 Mommy Food Bloggers, I’m honored and proud.  My name is Louise and I am a mommy blogger.

2. I thought for sure I DID NOT  want to be a food stylist.  WHAT?  Yes I know it sounds weird, but let me explain.  The jobs as a stylist were long and boring, the talent was mean, and the projects were more about spraying food with oil for the camera than being  creative or artistic.  I can paint a turkey with Kitchen Bouquet in my sleep, but what fun is that? When Melissa Lanz of The Fresh 20 asked me to style her book, I accepted as a friend who wanted to support a friend. Little did I know that she was going to trust me enough to give me creative freedom to prop and food style the entire book.  I rediscovered my love for styling and found a place for all my vintage props to shine.   I am so proud of this book and can hardly wait to share in it’s success as part of The Fresh 20 Team.

The moral of the story is, don’t compartmentalize your life.  You can rediscover yourself by simply opening your arms wide to embrace every piece of your life that makes you, you.  Don’t worry about how it’s all going to fit together, in the end there will be a place for it all.

• Valentina March 28, 2013, 2:09 pm

You are awesome! This is great and you are a really special mommy, chef, stylist and everything else. Congrats on being in the top 100!

• Chef Louise Mellor March 28, 2013, 5:39 pm

You are a great friend Valentina… but I still say you are a liar about your great arms!

• Betsy March 28, 2013, 2:16 pm

Well said! Congrats on all your achievements

• Dorothy at Shockingl March 28, 2013, 4:09 pm

Nice! I used to think I was in charge of what happened and how it happened. Ha! Not even slightly!

• Cheryl D Lee March 28, 2013, 5:46 pm

You will always be my favorite sous chef, no matter how rich and famous you become! And then I can be your sous chef!

• Laura Wallis March 28, 2013, 6:27 pm

Love this, Louise! As a mom entrepreneur your message so resonates with me. Yes, we can embrace our whole selves- love you last line, “Don’t’ worry about how it’s all fit together, in the end there will be a place for it all.” Inspirational words that we Moms can all hold on to!

• Chef Louise Mellor March 31, 2013, 3:07 pm

Thank you Laura, I just bookmarked your site… Great info!

• Kim March 29, 2013, 1:18 am

Congratulations! I like your epiphany that we’ve got to embrace it all. I have a lot to learn from you. :)

[K]

• Lana March 29, 2013, 1:24 am

I hear every single word you say, as I felt the same:) You are not defined as a mom, but you are a mom and that makes you what you are. You deserve to be in that group and I am so proud of you:)
    BTW, I have a coupke of vintage dresses from an estate sale I put away just in case you were interested. i can take a photo and send it to you:)

• Lentil Breakdown April 15, 2013, 12:28 am

You have inspired me so much, my friend. Congrats on your progress!

• Erika {In Erika's Ki April 16, 2013, 2:59 am

Mommy blogger, chef, food stylist, photographer, writer – you are one of the most special everythings I know!