It’s Spring! Spring has sprung, in like a lion – out like a lamb, bunnies, strawberries blah-blah-blah… All this means to me is that summer is right around the corner and you know what that means don’t you? Swim suits, bare untanned legs, and arguing with the “nail lady” about dry skin treatments and putting little flowers on my toe nails. Thinking about Summer is just a too much for me to handle right now in light of my current delicate emotional state. If you bring up sleeveless sun dresses, I might just pass out. So for now we will just talk about sweet Spring strawberries.
Okay so maybe it isn’t just the thought of Summer that’s bothering me. Truth be told, I AM that unstable-irrational-sobbing- mother-who- might -need- therapy- if -she- ever- stops- crying … because her kid is leaving for college. Whew glad I got that off my chest. Yup,that might actually have something to do with how I’m feeling about Spring. Spring is a glaring reminder that the school year is coming to an end and that this will actually be the last summer before college. My youngest daughter “Scootie” is leaving soon and the thought of it chokes me and takes my breath away. Even though I shouldn’t have, I started counting down the days.
The countdown to college makes me want to eat french fries and mashed potatoes with a side of mashed potatoes. But then I remember it’s almost summer and I have to put on a swim suit, so strawberry salad it is.
Wheat berries are nutty and crunchy with a very similar texture to brown rice, Farro, or Bulgar. Whole grain wheat berries, spinach and creamy goat cheese paired with a tart balsamic vinaigrette make this Spring salad hearty enough for lunch or dinner. I cooked the wheat berries with a touch of olive oil, salt, and my favorite floral herb blend – Herbs De Provence. I threw in the sunflower seeds because I read somewhere that they are supposed to make you happy. Maybe I need to eat a little more of them for it to kick in …
In case you are wondering it is day 133 …
|Wheat berry & strawberry spinach salad ... countdown to college|| |
- ½ cup dry wheat berries
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 Tablespoon salted toasted sunflower seeds (hulled)
- In a small pot combine the wheat berries, water, herbs, olive oil, and salt . Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 25-35 minutes or until the wheat berries are tender. Drain the wheat berries then return to the pot and allow the wheat berries to steam for 5 -10 minutes. Cool and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, herbs and salt and pepper for the vinaigrette.
- In a medium salad bowl toss together the cooled wheat berries, spinach, strawberries, goat cheese and sunflower seeds. Serve with vinaigrette to taste.