Hatch Chili Chimichurri – Aint no sunshine when she’s gone…

A recipe for Hatch Chili Chimichurri on LouiseMellor.com

I can close my eyes and see her standing there pouting at the gate of the preschool playground.  She has a  curly little head of brown hair pulled up tightly into a pony tail and her big brown eyes are filled with tears.  I will be dropping her off again, this time for college, but she won’t be the one crying.   “Maybe it’s payback time Louise”, that’s what she would say.

A recipe for Hatch Chili Chimichurri on LouiseMellor.com-The jokes are flying back and forth.  I try to act like I can hardly wait for her to leave and she walks around singing and reminiding me that I’m going to miss her when she is gone, so I better ________!   This is her favorite song.

Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone
Only darkness every day
Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone
And this house just ain’t no home
Anytime she goes away
Anytime she goes away
Anytime she goes away
Anytime she goes away

And I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know,
Hey, I oughtta leave young thing alone
But ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone…

Hatch Chili Chimichurri on LouiseMellor.com

For the next 8 days I will be making her favorite meals (steak and chimichurri), going to the beach, watching all  her favorite shows, and wiping my tears when she isn’t looking – like right now.

A recipe for Hatch Chili Chimichurri on LouiseMellor.com

I might be able to pull myself together by August 31st for the Hatch Chili Roast in Newport Beach, will I see you there?  I will be the one consoling myself with a Hatch Chile deep dish pizza.  Hatch Chilies are here today and gone tomorrow, so make sure you get yours!

My chimichurri is a little different from your traditional Brazilian sauce.  I add cilantro & briny capers to the mix and this time I threw in 2 roasted hot Hatch Chilies for a little heat.  Chimichurri is herbaceous garlicky, tangy, and with the added flavor of Hatch Chilies you will find that this sauce isn’t for just meats.   I have been slathering it on everything – steak, veggies, and even eggs for breakfast.

For more information on a Hatch Chili roast near you, visit Melissa’s Produce.

Bristol Farms Newport Beach
Saturday, August 31, 2013
810 Avocado Ave.
Newport Beach, CA 92660
8:00 am – 2:00 pm

Hatch Chili Chimichurri
5.0 from 4 reviews
Recipe type: sauce
Author:
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • ½ cup packed - cilantro, washed and thick stems removed
  • ½ cup packed - flat leaf Italian parsley, washed and thick stems removed
  • 2 medium size Hatch Chilies - roasted, peeled, stems removed
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 Tablespoons capers
  • 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • ⅓ cup good quality olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
Instructions
  1. Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until all of the ingredients are chopped and well combined. Do not over process or the herbs may turn black.
  2. Adjust consistency with more olive oil for a looser sauce.
  3. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
  4. Serve at room temperature over meat, fish, shellfish, or vegetables.

• Lentil Breakdown August 8, 2013, 7:59 pm

Aw, I love that song and I feel your pain. Can you feel mine because you are flaunting your gorgeous chimichurri and I can’t have any?

• Chef Louise Mellor August 8, 2013, 8:10 pm

🙂

• Valentina August 9, 2013, 9:00 am

words cannot express how incredibly delicious this looks! lucky girl to have a mom like you. xo

• Chef Louise Mellor August 9, 2013, 9:10 pm

That is because you don’t get enough meat in your house… poor thing!

• Erika {In Erika's Ki August 9, 2013, 3:15 pm

I’m a little weepy reading this too…yes, they grow up fast, but think of all the marvelous adventures she has ahead….

• Chef Louise Mellor August 9, 2013, 9:10 pm

Just wait, your time is coming – sooner than you think.

• Dorot August 10, 2013, 3:26 pm

Beautiful — both the story and the photo/recipe. I feel for you, and I anticipate my own similar feelings 2 years from now.

• Andi @ The Weary Che August 19, 2013, 5:23 am

My kids are in preschool and elementary, and I can’t imagine how hard it must be to say goodbye for college (no matter how nuts they make me now). Hope you are hanging in there OK!

This is some gorgeous looking meat is all I have to say. Wish I could grab a slice or five right out of that photo!

• Chef Louise Mellor August 19, 2013, 3:14 pm

Thank you Andi – for some reason I have been cleaning since she left, go figure? I still have my little Mikey and man he is going to be spoiled. I feel sorry for his future wife!

• Jenny August 21, 2013, 4:06 pm

Wow delicious! I will try your chimichurri recipe, looks like the hatch chili gives it a perfect kick! It’s 9am and you got me craving steak 🙂

• Chef Louise Mellor August 21, 2013, 8:27 pm

Jenny, I know this steak is so tempting!

• Priscilla | ShesCook August 24, 2013, 5:19 pm

We show our love with food – and this is a whole lotta love! Our song is “You Are My Sunshine” – her favorite huggy toy played it 🙂

• Margaret August 25, 2013, 9:43 pm

Ah, yes college. My daughter, only child, went off to college and it was sad, but oh so much fun to spend college experiences with her, watch her grow and enjoy college football. She has taught me a lot and she learned to cook way better than me and healthy. She will LOVE this recipe. Ah and after graduating last year, she just left today to go back for another degree! I can’t wait to go visit!

• Chef Louise Mellor August 26, 2013, 5:56 pm

Thanks Margaret, it’s true we learn and grow from them as much as they do from us. What a special season of life this is for me…

• Dave October 5, 2013, 9:48 pm

This recipe hit home. I grow numex chiles and decided to make the chimichurri sauce. It rocks! We used the extra sauce to make a kicked up tartar sauce for fish. Now we have to make a batch of the sauce every couple weeks because it works well for other things. I guess it’s good I picked another 2 dozen chiles today so I can roast them tomorrow and start another batch. I love you Louise, but don’t let my wife of 42 years know.

• Chef Louise Mellor October 8, 2013, 9:59 pm

Dave, we will keep this our little secret!

• Biz August 17, 2014, 6:02 pm

I was just able to buy hatch chiles for the first time – this was amazing! I did add some crushed red pepper for some more heat, but this was delicious – thank you!

• Wilkiany August 23, 2015, 6:51 pm

This recipe is AMZING! I made some tonight, and my husband and I just LOVED it! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!

• Preston Mitchell December 28, 2015, 6:12 am

If you can’t find Hatch Chile locally, there are a couple of small farms like ours that ship it right to your door.

• Ashley Matsko July 8, 2016, 1:34 pm

Thank you for mentioning Hatch Green Chile. We would love to send you a free box of our Hatch Green Chile as a thank you. Please let me know if you’re interested.