Sometimes life doesn’t go the way I expect it to. I expected to send my kids off to college, my son to 4th grade and to have the whole house to myself and work … quietly… ALONE. I guess that wasn’t in the cards because my husband was thrown from his bike during a triathlon and is now home in bed with a broken collar-bone and broken ribs. Not quite what I expected, but … okay.
Then, I didn’t expect my son to come home from school with a fever. I also didn’t expect that we would spend yet another night in the emergency room. Now, I have two Michaels in bed watching Star Wars and playing video games who need me for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I didn’t expect to see my daughters home from college 2 or 3 times a week , wanting to eat, and leaving their laundry in the dryer. Not at all what I expected, but … okay.
I didn’t expect all of this to happen in the middle of prepping for a HUGE photo shoot. I also didn’t expect it to be 105 degrees outside, and that the heat would turn 50 caramel apples into a sticky-sugar-catastrophe! But let’s leave that story for later, I’m not ready to talk about it yet.
The moral of the story is …
When you least expect it, expect it – and you will be okay.
Always be prepared with something you can trust, like peanut butter and chocolate. Peanut butter and chocolate are always there for you when you need them the most.
Oh and wine. Yes, wine is good.
|Salted peanut butter blondies||
- 2 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 2 sticks unsalted organic butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large organic eggs – room temperature
- 1 cup natural,chunky, or smooth peanut butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup salted roasted peanuts roughly chopped (with or without skins)
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate roughly chopped or ½ cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Sprinkle of sea salt or kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees with convection or 350 degrees without. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment or foil and leave a 2 inch hangover. (This will help you to remove the blondies easier)
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt set aside
- In a large bowl with a paddle attachment, cream together on medium speed the room temperature butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy – about 3-4 minutes. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. On medium speed, add in the eggs, one by one. Add each additional egg once the previous egg has been combined.
- Turn the mixer off and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl using a spatula.
- On medium speed add in the peanut butter and vanilla. Mix until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add in the flour mixture, until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Spread evenly into the lined baking pan and sprinkle with nuts and chocolate. Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt and place into the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Blondies are done when they are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.