What I know for sure …

Quote from my friends at Linen, Lace and Love

“Cease striving and know that I am God”… Psalm 46:10

What I know for sure …

Ever since my breast cancer diagnosis 9 months ago, I have been grappling with the answer to that question, “What do I “really” know for sure? “I have searched my heart for answers, I have battled with my mind to focus on the truth of what is known rather than to allow my thoughts to wander and inevitably end up on all that is unknown – the “what ifs”. The nagging question, “WHY?” has prompted me on to an endless study on every subject that you could possibly imagine. I know more now than I ever did before, about organic foods, toxins,  Monsanto, GMOs, BPAs, and Parabens … I have read medical journals on chemotherapy studies, considered holistic alternatives and questioned Western medicine. There have been moments that I thought my doctor might fire me as a patient because of all my questioning. Equally there have been moments in my extreme physical suffering that I threatened to fire  Dr. M. and quit treatment altogether. I know for sure there are secret notes in my file written in red pen and highlighted – “She is crazy!”  I would not be surprised if there are also notes in my file from my family. I can just see my husband,  like a hostage who is trying to escape, slipping the doctor a handwritten note on a post-it, begging and pleading for help. The search for answers didn’t  stop there.  In the last 9 months I have studied, in-depth, precept upon precept (verse by verse), the book of Esther, Genesis, and Ephesians. By far the most powerful study I have been able to do has been on the topic of Covenant (a solemn binding agreement) throughout the Bible. I have had numerous, deep, and provocative conversations with God, friends, family, doctors, nurses, and other cancer patients sitting in hospital waiting rooms. Overloaded with information, and operating with 2 brain cells (chemo brain),  I can honestly say that at the end of the day the most important thing I’ve learned  is to  listen. In the stillness, in the moments of just being quiet and listening, God brought to mind what I already know. God whispered in my ear and ever so gently and lovingly,  reminded me that He had already written the truth on my heart.  This truth is what I find myself sharing over and over again with anybody that will listen and in this season of  suffering,  it is this truth that has become … an anchor for my soul.

“Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.”

~2 Corinthians4:16

You see, cancer has done nothing but confirm what I already knew to be true. Simply put, in the physical world, cancer is nothing more than my very own cells acting out. When I look into the mirror it reflects the physical.  I am bald, my eyebrows have fallen out, and there are dark circles under my eyes because of sleep deprivation.  There are deep scars across my chest and at least 20 pounds of extra  weight on my small frame brought on by steroids and a drawer full of other medications prescribed to “help” me.   In the mirror, my physical body is but a shadow of the woman I once was.  But on a spiritual level, cancer is a mirror to my soul revealing the refined  essence of who I am … who I really am. Cancer has stripped away everything external, everything perishable, everything about my life that was superficial and noisy. Having the external physical life stripped away, I have been left with the ability to sit quietly in front of the mirror and contemplate what I know for sure.

“Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding, For if you cry for discernment, Lift your voice for understanding;If you seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will discern the fear of the Lord and discover the knowledge of God.  For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” ~ Proverbs 2

What I know for sure is God desires for us to know Him.  To really know Him for ourselves, and the only way to know God,  is to know His Word.   He desires that we (believers and unbelievers) would seek to know Him for who He really is, not who we “think” He might be through a bad church experience, religion or dogma. You also can’t make a decision about God over 1 or 2 verses that make you uncomfortable.  I love spiritual books and I know devotionals have their place.  I am the first to admit Oprah, preachers and evangelists  have the gift of inspiring the masses, but dear friends my plea to you is simple. If you really want to know God, you cannot love the words of men more than the Words of God  Himself.

“You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies, for [Your Words] are ever before me.  I have better understanding and deeper insight than all my teachers, because Your testimonies are my meditation.  I understand more than the aged, because I keep Your precepts.  I have not turned aside from Your ordinances, for You Yourself have taught me.  How sweet are Your  Words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!”

~Psalm 119

What I know for sure is – I know our God.  I know Him, intimately and passionately, He is the love of my life.  I know the strength  and sincerity of His character can be trusted, and  I believe He will keep the promises He has made to me because I understand what covenant means to God.  I know God because I know His Word.   I know God because He Himself has taught me.  It has always been my desire to be like Moses, who spoke to God face to face as a man speaks to his friend ~Exodus 33.   This year I have been face to face with God more so than any other time in my life.  So far it has been humbling to say the least.  Blood, sweat, and tears – repeat…  Although my flesh has failed me and my mind at times has been in emotional turmoil,  I can say without a shadow of doubt – my Spirit ( my inner self ) has been renewed, revived, and strengthened.  Having been rooted and grounded in the love of God, I feel the fullness of God overflowing from within.  I know that this has all been for my good and most importantly for the glory of God.

This is my prayer for you,

“For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name,  that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,  may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,  and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.”

~ Ephesians 3:14-19

• Kim Artnak September 2, 2014, 4:10 pm

God is whispering to me.. You too can have what Louise has. You too can know me as intimately. I love you Louise. Your words touch the depths of my heart.

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:39 am

Kim, thank you. You do have what I have . You are an amazing woman and I am happy to call you friend.

• Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious September 2, 2014, 4:49 pm

Love you and your spirit, Louise!

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:40 am

Dorothy, I mis you. I am SO looking forward to seeing you soon!

• Ron Grishabner September 2, 2014, 4:54 pm

Louise, I too are faceing a problem with my heart. I have had 4 heaart attacks. I will be going for by pass surgery soon. Last time in June a tasted death a bit to close. I know that failth will keep me safe for my family. I really enjoyed reading your message.. I have felt God being close when I need Him the most. Good luck with your journey…

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:42 am

Ron, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. 4! OH MY GOODNESS. Stay present in the moment and enjoy the sweetness of all the good things in your life outside of the worry and fear.

• Cathy | She Paused 4 Thought September 2, 2014, 5:01 pm

Thank you for your words of wisdom, your courage to be vulnerable, and your ever inspiring faith. Well done Louise.

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:44 am

Cathy, I am so glad we met. You are such a blessing. You are so sweet and encouraging, not to mention talented. I love seeing all of your work.

• Dana twining September 2, 2014, 6:16 pm

Louise… You never cease to amaze and inspire me!
    Lots of love, hugs & prayers to you!

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:46 am

Dana, when I hear from you it reminds me of such happy times. Wine & food with friend. You are my favorite client who became my friend !

• Barbara September 2, 2014, 6:42 pm

Dear Louise, I had no idea that you were battling cancer. My heart goes out to you. I will be praying for you. Thank you for your beautiful, insightful, and encouraging words. 2 Peter 1:3

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:47 am

Barbara, so nice to hear from you? Still doing precepts?

• Liz September 2, 2014, 8:03 pm

My thought are with you! Keep up the fight!
    You are a beautiful person inside and out!

• Kelli September 2, 2014, 8:50 pm

thank you for sharing your heart and wisdom with us. To know Jesus is to gain. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Adrianna September 2, 2014, 9:10 pm

Beautiful, Louise. Thank you.

• Lana September 2, 2014, 9:52 pm

Oh, Louise, I wish I could be there for you, holding your hand firmly… I cannot even imagine how you are feeling, but I am so happy to have you for my friend:) My love and thoughts are with you, always!

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:48 am

Lana, you are here with me. Just imagine a bald lady walking around the house in gorgeous vintage nightgowns.

• valentina September 2, 2014, 10:31 pm

Your strength is amazing, your attitude is unbelievably inspiring, and your spirit is beautiful. I think of you all the time and I send you big hugs and lots of love. To you and your whole family. (Doodles included.) xoxo Valentina

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:50 am

Miss you Valentina, I need some inspiration from you. Trying to eat more vegetarian. I know you have some great food on your site.

• Rex Lawrence September 2, 2014, 11:13 pm

Hi Louise,

Thank you for sharing your story and pain. I can’t imagine how scary this past 9 months has been for you and the ones that love you. That said, you’re an inspiration and I know when all this is behind you that you’ll use the experience, as you are already, to make you and those around you happier and healthier.
    Take care!

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:54 am

Thank you Rex, it means a lot to me that you took the time to reach out to me. Blessings to you!

• Adair @ Lentil Breakdown September 3, 2014, 7:06 am

I learn so much from you and think of you often. When I am troubled, I think of you and am humbled by what you are going through and have embraced with such grace.

• Chef Louise Mellor September 3, 2014, 8:52 am

HA , not always graceful. Ask my husband, but I’mtrying. xoxo to you Adair.

• Lucia d'Angelo September 3, 2014, 4:46 pm

En, and bless you. Your message came to me at my most delicate, so thank you. I will add you to my prayers, as I would have soon nine months ago had I known.

• Lucia D'Angelo September 3, 2014, 4:48 pm

Amen! (Not en)
    Was unable to edit the other

• google api code September 24, 2014, 5:12 am

I think this is one of the such a lot significant information for me.
    And i am glad studying your article. But wanna observation on few general
    things, The site style is ideal, the articles is truly great : D.
    Just right task, cheers

• Collin November 4, 2015, 4:04 am

On Vine, Twitter’s micro movie application, plus on Facebook, the videos perform immediately.

• Alissa November 23, 2015, 11:45 am

Si vous desirez perdre du poids plus rapidement, tachez de garder une
    alimentation saine et equilibree, faites de la marche a pied
    au moins 3 fois par semaine.

• Samira November 25, 2015, 5:09 am

By doing the groundwork and producing the
    early buzz regarding the video clip, and doing
    this strategically, you could play a working part in directly triggering
    your viral video firestorm.

• Marc December 1, 2015, 1:23 pm

Cependant, tout ce qui est venu à la lumière avec le lancement
    d’un programme de perte de poids de Tom

• Miguel March 19, 2016, 6:49 am

There is nothing superficial or noisy about your life!

• thaiboksing treningsleir May 20, 2016, 12:31 am

Thanks for the good writeup. It in truth was once a enjoyment account it.
    Look complex to far added agreeable from you! However, how can we keep up a correspondence?