Oh January – why can’t you taste like November and December? January has me eating zesty chili & lime veggie fried rice, but the memories of the holidays are still fresh on my tongue. November was tasty, but might have been outdone by December – I can’t decide. It all feels like a delicious dream. Here’s what I do remember. I peeled, boiled, and riced endless amounts of potatoes and whipped them with lemon zest and embarrassing amounts of Kerrygold butter and heavy cream steeped with fresh thyme. I slathered a ham with a thick & sticky glaze of Dijon, honey, brown sugar, garlic, fresh orange juice, cloves and allspice. I baked it low and slow until the edges were crispy and the glaze bubbled with the juice from the ham and thickened into sweet & savory pork candy lava. Sizzling out of the oven, I pulled off a crispy piece and dipped it into the pan sauce – I was speechless. Oh and the prime rib roast … Beautiful prime rib of my dreams, you took my breath away when we took you out of the oven. That first glimpse of your thick amber crust of fat with layers of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper made me weak in the knees. I can still taste that perfect bite of crispy, salty fat, and the rare meat topped a heaping spoon of horseradish cream. It’s what dreams are made of. Christmas morning I made homemade hazelnut lattes with little mountain peaks of whipped cream to go with our sticky pecan buns, thick maple bacon – extra crispy, and pillowy little mounds of soft scrambled eggs. I brushed puff pastry with warm melted butter, and rolled it with a filling of brown sugar, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and pecans. The finishing touch, a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt – holiday perfection. There is so much more, so much more… but it’s January and we are eating veggie fried rice.
This is life, January can’t be December. I have no regrets and this zesty chili & lime veggie fried rice is a perfect side dish for you… January.
|Zesty chili & lime veggie fried rice|| |
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bunch of green onions (4-5) white and green parts thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into small dice
- ½ yellow bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 1 medium green Italian green zucchini squash, cut into small dice
- 1-15 ounce bag of frozen cauliflower rice (Trader Joe's)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- heavy pinch of cayenne pepper, adjust to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat.
- To the pan, add the onions, garlic, diced peppers, and zucchini. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add to the pan the frozen cauliflower, cooked brown rice, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender and heated through, about 7-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, squeeze in lime juice, stir to combine and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve warm